Alpha Descaler Product Facts & Specifications
It dissolves waterscale, lime, mud and rust deposits safely, quickly and efficiently!
- ALPHA DESCALER is a non-hazardous, non-corrosive, non-injurious, non-toxic, non-fuming, yet fully biodegradable in 10 days acid replacement descaler, heavily fortified with wetting and penetrating agents which actually dissolves water scale, lime, mud, rust, and other water formed deposits from water operated equipment. ALPHA DESCALER FG is potable water systems and where possible contact with food can occur and for descaling equipment contacting food. It does NOT contain any traditional but often hazardous buffered acids such as hydrochloric, sulfonic, citric, or phosphoric.
- ALPHA DESCALER FG is certified to NSF/ANSI 60 for use as a cleaner in potable water systems. NSF Registered for use in beverage, pharmaceutical, bottling, poultry, and other food processing plants.
- ALPHA DESCALER is non-corrosive, but its application may expose pre-existing under deposit corrosion (pitting, holes or similar damage) that can result in leaks in pipes, equipment or systems. Corrosion tests are readily available on typical materials used in heat exchangers and other water cooler, water heated and water operated equipment.
- ALPHA DESCALER & ALPHA DESCALER FG should be used as directed and at any temperature within the operating limits of between 0°F / -18°C and 180°F / 82°C. If the solution does freeze and then thaws, there will be no performance reducing results. Please consult the manufacturer when temperatures above 180°F / 82°C are encountered.
- There is no estimated life expectancy for unopened containers of product. Opened product should be used within one year.
- Although almost any chemical reaction will react faster under elevated temperatures, ALPHA DESCALER should be applied at ambient temperatures (65°F / 18° C to 95°F / 35°C) with full effectiveness and results obtainable.
- The solution is NOT exothermic, while dissolving water scale, lime, mud, rust or other water formed deposits and does not give off strong fumes when operating.
- ALPHA DESCALER has the ability to dissolve approximately two and a half pounds (over 1 Kilo) of calcium carbonate scale per U.S. gallon while at 70°F / 21°C, and in concentrated form. ALPHA DESCALER FG has the ability to dissolve approximately three pounds (approx.. 2 Kilo) of calcium carbonate scale per U.S. gallon while at 70°F / 21°C, and in concentrated form If the product is diluted, it will still dissolve the same capacity based on original concentration, but will require additional circulating time.
- The concentrated solution can be held, safely, in the open hand without deleterious effects. However, if mild irritation occurs, a simple soap and water rinse is all that is required.
- The solution does not exude any obnoxious or toxic vapors.
- An exception to number 10 is that irritating vapors may occur when encountering high concentrations of sulfur, chlorine, or liquid TNT or any material that in itself may be come hazardous when dissolved. Please contact the manufacturer before proceeding under these circumstances or review the SDS of the chemical that ALPHA DESCALER may come in contact with for any incompatibilities.
- ALPHA DESCALER does not corrode, erode, attack, oxidize or have other deleterious effects on virtually any metal or materials commonly found in water systems such as: COPPER BRASS BRONZE IRON RUBBER STEEL (INCLUDING STAINLESS STEEL) TITANIUM GLASS or other materials found in heat exchangers, vacuum pumps, evaporators, condensers, and other water operated equipment when used as directed.
- An exception to number 12 is that when using 100% concentrated (non-diluted) ALPHA DESCALER on magnesium, zinc, galvanized metal, and/or aluminum, where there may be some discoloration. Furthermore, polished chrome and some alloys of stainless steel could become discolored. In these situations dilute the product 50%. In general, if the alloy is designed for use in a water system (aluminum engine block, aluminum mold, etc.), the alloy should be compatible with the ALPHA DESCALER solution. Otherwise, dilute 50% or more with water when cleaning.
- Before commencing a cleaning job utilizing ALPHA DESCALER, all flexible or corrugated stainless steel should be temporarily replaced with rubber or similar hosing.
- Agitating or circulating ALPHA DESCALER with compressed air is not recommended. Please consult the manufacturer with any questions.
- It is recommended, but not mandatory, that the ALPHA DESCALER solution be thoroughly mixed before using.
- The solution does not require neutralizers and it is free rinsing with water.
- ALPHS DESCALER is an electrolyte, as are most cleaning agents. An electrolyte is any liquid that will transfer small electrical currents. Examples: salt water, vinegar, Coca-Cola. An electrolyte may cause plating in some types of equipment. This means a transfer of small amounts of one metal onto another metal according to the galvanic corrosion chart. In some instances, a thin coating of copper may be plated onto a steel drum while circulating an electrolyte such as ALPHA DESCALER. The only time plating occurs is when two dissimilar metals are in an electrolytic solution.
- The solution has the ability to dissolve deposits from some equipment while in operation and without shutdown, either through the cooling tower or if auxiliary coolers are incorporated. ALPHA DESCALER FG may also be used as a water treatment.
- The solution has the properties to be mailed or shipped by any private or commercial carrier without restrictions. Air carriers for emergency deliveries may ship ALPHA DESCALER via next day air.
- The solution is packaged and shipped in 5-gallon jugs (20 liters), and 55-gallon drums (208 liters), 330 gallon (1250 liters) totes, and tankers.
- Most ALPHA DESCALER cleaning applications can be accomplished within an average of two to four hours but may be circulated much longer is necessary.
- ALPHA DESCALER is designed to be used by itself or diluted with water and water only.
- ALPHA DESCALER should be stored in its original or similar HDPE container and properly sealed when not in use.
- The solution is biodegradable and biodegrades 100% in less than 10 days. The product is not a marine pollutant. Check with local ordinances and regulations in your area prior to disposal.
- ALPHA DESCALER and ALPHA DESCALER FG is not regulated for transport and is not a marine pollutant. See SDS.
Here are some frequently asked questions about alpha descaler products.